Hi Everyone! SURPRISE! Emma let me take over a blog post; how fun is that?? My name is Emily and sweet little Emma is a dear friend of mine. I Snapped (hayyy) a photo of a recipe I made a few weeks back and Emma asked me to do a guest post on it. So, without further ado I present to you: Easy-Peasy Caprese Calzones.
Now, as most of my gal pals know…I hate grocery shopping and I don’t love cooking (which happen to be two of Emma’s favorite things so I’m really not sure why she keeps me around…). Although I don’t love to cook, I am actually quite decent in the kitchen…I promise! 😉 I’m in the healthcare field and I’m also finishing up nursing school which means I am b-u-s-y and keep crazy hours so between that and loathing the grocery store I like to keep things simple when it comes to meal prep and planning. And let me tell you, this recipe is definitely quick and easy! Plus the spin on caprese makes it purrfect for summer! It’s only FIVE ingredients ya’ll! (Okay, six if you add the bonus ingredient: meat!)
The first time I made these babies I strictly just used the tomatoes, mozzarella, and basil. However, when I was back home visiting my parents for the weekend I made these one evening for my dad (mom ditched us for a girl’s night!) but I felt bad serving a meatless meal to my father so I added some prosciutto and salami; I gotta say it was even better then the original! Oh! And I served them with my famous Caesar salad. The photos depicted show both the original recipe and the meat lovers’ option.
Pro Tip: If going the meat lovers’ route be sure to really roll out your dough so that you can seal them up into perfect little pockets.
Family Tip: These would be really fun for the little ones to make too; each kiddo can fill up their calzone however they please…besides who doesn’t love playing with dough?? Enjoy ya’ll! XO
- 1 can Pillsbury pizza crust
- 3-4 Tomatoes (sliced)
- 2 lb Mozzarella (I buy the pre-sliced…obviously)
- 6-8 fresh Basil leaves
- Optional: Prosciutto, salami, pepperoni, etc
- Italian Seasoning
- Shredded Parmesan
- Rao’s Pizza Sauce for dipping (I PROMISE you this is the BEST sauce EVER. Seriously.)
- Preheat oven to 425
- Roll out pizza crust and cut into 4 equal squares
- Optional: Layer meat of your choice
- Place sliced tomatoes (about 3 on each), add mozzarella and top with basil
- Seal up the edges of dough to form pockets and brush with EVOO
- Sprinkle with Italian seasoning and shredded parmesan
- Bake for 12-15mins or until desired crispness
- Heat pizza sauce for dipping
- Pour a glass of wine and enjoy!