Summer just wouldn’t be complete without firing up the grill or slicing into a ripe watermelon. Mix those two together and you have a winning combination for a delicious and easy salsa. Grilling fruit helps to bring out a more complex flavor and adds freshness to this salsa. I found most of my ingredients at one of my favorite farmer’s markets, Stoney’s Produce, the rest came from my local grocery store.
I first tried the salsa with the usual suspect, a bag of crunchy tortilla chips. The salsa is light with a nice hint of spice that quickly becomes addicting. Trust me, those chips didn’t stand a chance. I prepared steak tacos for dinner and added the salsa to the meal. The combination of flavors complimented each other well and made a perfect summer dinner. The salsa would also pair well with shrimp tacos and makes a great party dip.
To read more or find out what is happening in Hampton Roads, visit hrscene.com!
- ½ Watermelon
- ½ Red Onion
- 3 Large Tomatoes
- 2 Jalapeño Peppers
- 1 Red Bell Pepper
- 2 Serrano Chili Peppers
- 1 Tbsp Minced Garlic
- 3 Tbsp Fresh Cilantro
- Juice & Zest of 1 Lime
- 1 Tsp Sugar
- Pre-heat grill to 400.
- Divide watermelon in half and slice into 2 inch thick pieces.
- Grill until marks form, about 6 minutes on each side.
- Coarsely chop other ingredients, remove seeds from all peppers.
- Place all ingredients into a large food processor and pulse until all ingredients are minced and incorporated.
- Serve with chips or as a condiment to a meal.
To decrease spice, use only 1 Serrano Chili Pepper.